Saturday, January 18, 2014

Celebrating Talented Friends - and Guess Whose First Line

As I have mentioned before, envy is not generally my particular cross to bear - especially when it comes to my profession…at least as far as measuring my work against that of my peers. When I encounter some gorgeous prose, I don't despair - as I have heard others do - "I'll never be as good as that!"  Chalk it up to some rogue self-delusion, because I'm certainly capable of insecurity on many other subjects, but I have always believed that given enough time and inspiration I could write the most beautiful book in the world.

I actually love when a book blows my socks off. I always congratulate its author, even if it's just in my own head.  It inspires me to get back to the chair and see what I can come up with.

This just arrived in my mailbox, through the generosity of a very special mutual friend of the author. Steve is amazing. Check out this first line: "You can't even count on a jack handle anymore."  Right??!!!  And don't even get me started on the title. You guys know I can't write titles to save my life (though - fingers crossed, and I'm not telling because I don't want to jinx it, but I think we've finally chosen one for the fall book), so I'm extra impressed by this one:



I'm blessed have a lot of extraordinarily talented author friends. I've been remiss in sharing over the holidays, but here are some of the advance copies that recently came my way, from Barbara Taylor Sissel, CJ Lyons, and Teri Wilson. First person to guess which of these masterful first lines goes with which book, I'll send you either an audio copy of GARDEN OF STONES or a copy of HANGING BY A THREAD, your choice.

  1. "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman teetering on the verge of thirty is in want of a husband."
  2. "If you want to get noticed fast, try starting high school three weeks late as the girl who almost died."
  3. "My son is a murderer."







2 comments:

Barbara Sissel said...

Sophie! Thank you for your lovely post and for including Safe Keeping! What a cool idea for a contest. I'm sharing on FB. I so agree about reading work I admire (like yours!) that just after the wish that I could be so gifted, I'm spurred to try again to be better!

Carol Bodensteiner said...

Great first lines. And great contest. I admit I cheated, so I'm taking myself out of the competition. The only one I got right by "guessing," which was the requirement of the contest, was the opening line for "Unleashing Mr. Darcy." All the books look great.