Monday, June 3, 2013

My Little Reading Partner

In this season of end-of-school-year celebration, I thought I'd tell you about one of the kids in my life. Not the two I usually go on and on about (have I told you lately how proud I am of those two - next year I'll have two kids in the UC system, one at Berkeley and one at Davis!) - but one that I met this year through a program called Reading Partners.

In respecting the privacy of the students of the program, all of us volunteers agree not to discuss the kids outside of school, so I  can't share any specifics about my partner except that she is nine years old and, while we were both shy at first, it didn't take her long to show her mischievous side and we spent much of our time together laughing. She found all kinds of ways to cheat, but she did it for the joy of tricking me and she always fessed up - so that she could prove that once again, she was smarter than me. 

I'm lucky in many ways - one of them is that my schedule is my own, which makes it possible for me to volunteer during the school day. I know that not everyone has that luxury. But if you do, and you're looking for a volunteer opportunity where you can make a real and tangible difference to a child, I suggest you check Reading Partners out.


Reading Partners is a nonprofit literacy organization that recruits and trains community volunteers to provide one-on-one reading tutoring to students in under-resourced schools across the country. Our highly-effective program has helped thousands of children master the fundamental reading skills they need to succeed in school and beyond.

Here's the note she wrote me at the end of the year:



No comments: