Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Life Changes Today

Let me tell you a little story, people. Many years ago, when I dreamed of becoming a real author, I dared to put a voice to it. "I want to write full time," I told a friend. "As my day job."

This friend told me I was shooting too high. That the odds made it all but impossible. That I could always keep writing as a hobby but I should focus on doing something that would pay the bills, something with a health plan and a 401K.

And Lordy Pete, as my character Odell would say, there have been days when I thought I should have listened. Days when I wasn't quite sure how to make the bills line up or how I would ever convince a publisher to take a chance on me when only eleven people bought my last book.

But I had two things that the average bear does not:
1. Barbara Poelle
2. A HELL of a lot of determination

The former speaks for herself.

As for the latter...well, let me put it this way. Last week a certain someone in my life had some minor surgery because her hyperthyroid was making too much calcium. It was like, "you want me to make some calcium, bitches? Watch THIS" and flooding her system with it, and so they had to yank that sucker out.  Well, they haven't invented the surgery yet that will address my overproduction of grit. I'm thinking my blood probably runs with sand, because I just. Can. Not. Stop. I love my job and plan to do it until I am dead, even if I am writing in the bathroom stall on my breaks working at the DMV.

Abby Zidle!!
But guess what? I'm not applying for that DMV job anytime soon, my friends, because yesterday I signed up to write two new books with Abby Zidle, my editor at Simon & Schuster.

The deal is that they are going to pay me a truckload of cash and in return, I am going to go big and fearless. I am going to reach down deep and use every lesson I've learned, every mistake I've made, every dusky dream and wee-hours nightmare I've ever had and Abby and I are going to  build something spectacular together.

I could go on and on about Abby like I usually do, but right now I kind of want to just keep her to myself. It's like I've got my dream date to the prom and I just want to go moon and sigh a little. But I promise you this. After I take a little time off to sweep up the broken china that is my personal life (it's been a hell of a year), words are going to roll.


32 comments:

Janice Gable Bashman said...

Huge congrats Sophie - I'm so happy for you!

Eric said...

Hey, major big congrats. A huge and very exciting step and you've certainly earned the the chance to take it. Grab the ball and run with it.

Wayne Pullam said...

Congratulations to you! I've loved all of your books so far and looking forward to some new ones.

Mike Cooper said...

This the greatest news in the world, and could not have come to someone more deserving. Can't wait to read the new books!

(and super congratulations to Barbara!)

Jon said...

Yes! Just yes!

Allison Brennan said...

I am so, so, so, so happy for you!!! You've earned it, and I really like Abby. She's a fantastic editor, I read a lot of her authors! :) YOU are in such good hands, and THEY are lucky to have you :)

maddee james said...

YAY YOU Ms. Sophie! SOOOOO excited!!!!!!!

Robert K. Lewis said...

Hey hey hey!!! You rock the world, Sophie! Huge congrats, and man... if there was every an author that deserves it it's you! :-)

Laura Benedict said...

Great job, Sophie! You've earned it!!!

Pamela Callow said...

Yay, Sophie! Congratulations!!

JT Ellison said...

Yay, Sophie! You work so damn hard, and have so much talent, this isn't a big surprise. I'm only surprised it hadn't happened sooner. Keep it up, girl.

Barbara Sissel said...

So thrilled for you, Sophie!! John Wayne step aside. This is the TRUE story of True Grit! You earned this, gal!

Margo Kelly said...

SO EXCITING!!! Congrats.

Jamie Freveletti said...

Oh yeah-you blew the lid off--just like I KNEW you would! Congrats and let's party on the terrace in July!

Michelle said...

Yay, Sophie! So well deserved, I've loved each and every one of your books!

ronisays said...

I can't think of ANYONE who deserves this more, on any level. Thrilling news!

Joshua Corin said...

YAY! *hug*

Rebecca Coleman said...

Hooraaaaay!!! Serious congratulations!! This is so inspiring for those of us who want to do this as our day job, and AWESOME for those of us who love your books! Way to go, Sophie!

Janet Reid said...

Barbara Poelle rocks the casbah. You do too. And don't get me started on the Wonderful that is the AbZurdity of AmaZing or we'll be here all day and long in to next week.

I'm THRILLED to hear this, and can't wait to read the books.

Susan C Shea said...

It sounds as though you're getting the message that your talent goes way beyond what you've even produced so far - and you've already created so much good fiction that you're out many lengths in front of most of us. This is a challenge you'll meet and I can't wait to read the books! Congratulations big time, Sophie!

Lesa said...

Congratulations, Sophie! That's fantastic. Hard to believe you'll have time to write even more than you've been pumping out, but as you said, you have grit. Go for it!

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

HURRAY! YOu are SUCH a role model! xooo And whoo hoo! xoo

Mysti said...

Woman--I'm so glad the world is noticing what your friends already know--talent enough to match the grit.

GO!!!!!!!!

Ms. T.

Terry Shames said...

As they say in Texas, "Hell yeah!"

Judy said...

This is absolutely fabulous news!!! We've always known you had the grit AND the talent!!!

Jeri Sutherland said...

Congrats from the crew here at Tassajara Hills...You've always been a talented lady and as a reader of the Sorry books and your young adult titles, personally I couldn't be happier nor surprised. Cheers from this librarian. Hugs

Mark P Sadler said...

Aint life grand!

Leslie said...

The DREAM TEAM: Sophie, Barbara, and Abby! Many congrats and I can't wait to read the results.

Joelle Charbonneau said...

WOOT! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! This is the best news ever and it couldn't happen to a nicer lady. I can't wait to read those books and cheer you on in this new adventure.

Alma Katsu said...

Hey! Big-ass congratulations! Abby is wonderful. You two go make some wordy magic together.

Linda Rodriguez said...

Hurray, Sophie! Couldn't happen to a more deserving writer! Super happy for you!

Judith Starkston said...

Yeah! I'm so pleased for you. And, yes, you definitely have sand for blood, Ms. Queen of Grit. And look where it's getting you. I couldn't be happier.