Monday, April 22, 2013

Delightful News, Foreign Sales, All-Around Good Times!

So! Remember the other day I said I had a few more exciting bits of news to share? Well, now I can. There are four of them, to be precise - Brazil, Italy, Germany, and the UK. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

You guys know I work with the best team in all of publishing (pause for secret handshake with BP and AbZ), but there are a couple of people I've never introduced here before: Danny and Heather Baror of Baror International, who handle my foreign rights and work closely with my agent Barbara.

Danny Baror
You might think I adore these people because they just found homes for my books in several corners of the globe, and that is true. But what I really love about them? Same thing I love about Barbara: they've hung in with me for *years,* earning about four cents an hour on the time they have invested in me (and that's a generous estimate).

And they never gave up on me.

Heather Baror
I have to admit I don't really know how foreign sales work. I kind of picture Heather at the London Book Festival with a cigarette-girl style box suspended from her shoulders, filled with books. As the festival goes on, the hot sellers go first, and then the lesser-known titles, and finally the really esoteric ones, until she is left with...well, mine. And yet every year she packed them up again and brought them back and tried again.

Persistence, people! It's a grand thing. Here is the deal announcement. I couldn't be prouder to share it with you!

Sophie Littlefield's DOWN IN THE MOON POOL, in which two young men from the North Dakota oil fields go missing, and their mothers must bridge the class divide and form an uneasy alliance to discover the truth behind their disappearance amidst the desolate and hostile landscape of man camps, to Abby Zidle at Gallery, at auction, in a two-book deal, by Barbara Poelle atIrene Goodman Agency (NA).
Rights also to Head of Zeus in the UK; to Goldmann in Germany; to Sperling & Kupfer in Italy, and to Novo Conceito in Brazil, in pre-empts, by Heather Baror-Shapiro at Baror International.
Foreign: Baror International

8 comments:

Tez Miller said...

Fingers crossed Australia picks it up ;-)

Is the US edition digital-only, like your other Gallery books? (I'm hoping for a print edition, because I'm totally selfish that way ;-) )

Pamala Knight said...


That's fabulous news! Congratulations on the sale and I can't wait to read the book when it comes out.

Barbara Sissel said...

So thrilled for you, Sophie!! You are knocking them dead and I love it!

Sophie Littlefield said...

thanks you guys! Tez, this one is definitely coming out in print. (e too, of course.)

Susan C Shea said...

You amaze me with your creativity, hard work, and persistence, Sophie. I'm sure your agents love having you as a client! Congratulations again.

Terry Shames said...

Grinning like a fool about your good news. Boy, do you ever have moxie! You're my hero(ine).

Kari Young said...

Great news Sophie.

Kristen W said...

Excellent news. Does this mean exotic foreign book tours?