Tuesday, January 29, 2013

RTBookReviews Interview - and Jane

A while back I had a great conversation with Liz French from RTBookReviews. Seems like we talked about everything under the sun, and the result is a fun interview that ran in the March issue.

RTBR also reviewed Garden of Stones in that issue, saying this:


“Mesmerizing… shocking… heartbreaking… A story of unspeakable injustice and bitter sacrifice, it will leave you shaken.”

I do love that magazine. I've been reading it for years. I have to tell you, though, it was a special thrill to share cover space with Jane Porter, and I'll tell you why:

About a million years ago (okay, more like fifteen) I went to an RWA National conference with my friends Lisa and Lynn and we went to hear an author I'd never heard of: Jane Porter. I remember that she had these little plastic dinosaurs that she set on the podium. The dinosaurs represented determination. For forty-five minutes, Jane talked about determination, about getting the job done in the face of rejection and disappointment. She was so real, and it felt like she was talking directly to me. I took everything she said to heart, and when I got home I often thought of her dinosaurs and her positivity.

jane and me in 2009...if you look close you can see my "first sale" ribbon on my badge
When I got my first contract, I sent her a gushy fan letter, telling her she was one of the reasons I'd finally succeeded. When my first book came out I hunted her down at the literacy signing and asked her to pose for a picture with me.

Jane's the real deal - she works hard, doesn't let obstacles get her down, and looks out for others along the way. And that's an example for us all.

No comments: