Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Necessary Reminder to Crush Negativity

Today's been a funny day so far. I woke up feeling a little draggy. These days, I get up at 5:30am so I can have a few minutes with my son before driving him to the train station. It takes him a train and a bus, and an hour and a half, to get to school so neither of us are particularly cheerful first thing.

But it's a time to cherish nonetheless, and I'm mindful that these days are precious. Anyway, while waiting for the coffee to brew, I skimmed the sites that I imagine many authors review when they sit down to work each day, seeing what's new in social media and what's going on with one's books, as though anything significant could have happened since the last time I peeked (come on, y'all, we're all obsessive; might as well admit it). And I discovered a brand new scathing reader review of a recent book of mine, much the way I used to wander downstairs in the morning and discover dismembered mouse corpses left by a cat I once owned.

(Does it surprise anyone to know that a Littlefield cat would amass an impressive body count?)

Anyway, before I could even process this little gem, I saw that a post I read a while back for Adventures in YA Publishing also went live today. And it was exactly the reminder I needed. Reviews are exactly as significant as I allow them to be.

From the post: "I learned to judge my work by the only standard that matters. Instead of letting negative criticism crush my spirit, I silence those voices and get back to the words."

Read the full text, as well as lots of other useful and amusing commentary from the folks at Adventures in YA Publishing :) - here.

3 comments:

Sari said...

I have found in the last few years that while the internet is wonderful, people feel like they don't have to be polite anymore. If you don't like something, fine. That's allowed. But scathing and rude? That seems all too common anymore. It is especially hard as a writer, I'm sure. You're putting everything you have out there with your story, it's *you*, and months or years of your work.

Sari said...

Also, great article. I just read it!

Shoshana said...

Thank you for the great article, Sophie. When the day comes that I finally get my first negative review, I'll just thank the universe that my book is finally out there for people to criticize.