Friday, September 14, 2012

Wedding Cake for Breakfast

I haven't talked about this yet, but I think it might be time. Earlier this year, I contributed an essay to a very special anthology called WEDDING CAKE FOR BREAKFAST: ESSAYS ON THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRST YEAR OF MARRIAGE.

This was a particularly poignant writing experience for me, because my own marriage was ending as I wrote my contribution. But as is so often the case, the writing provided answers to questions I didn't know needed asking and balm for hurts I wasn't aware were there. Writing, as we so often remind each other, is the best therapy in the world.

I was married for a long time to a good man, and revisiting that first year - when everything was fresh and everything was possible - was a difficult experience, but also a joyful one.


The anthology is available in all the usual spots, and you can learn more about it here. The essays are pretty terrific, ranging from funny to bittersweet, and the book has been received very well. The other contributors include a woman who married a boy I went to elementary school with - talk about a small world!

No comments: