Monday, September 24, 2012

My New Wheels

I got my first car in 1984, while I was in college. It was an eight year old Honda Civic, and my Dad co-signed the loan with me. My payments were around a hundred bucks and I paid them out of my waitress tips. 

I loved that car. I had a Foreigner tape that I played over and over, and I drove around with the windows down so that the whole world could enjoy "Cold as Ice" with me.

These are the cars I've had since then:
1988 Red Subaru Justy
1992 Silver Jeep Cherokee
1995 Green Subaru Legacy
1997 Green Toyota Sienna minivan, which the kids are still driving
2004 Gold Volvo station wagon

Over the years my cars got bigger and sturdier, until driving that Volvo felt like driving a large chunk of asphalt around. Now I live in the city and I'm back in a tiny car. I love it. I feel like it could spring up onto the sidewalk to avoid a police chase if necessary. I'm pretty sure my son could bench press it.


 The Obama sticker's on its way; meanwhile I'm making do with this:


I found a local car wash. I love car washes - wielding the wand and trying to time the soap and rinse exactly to your tokens. Julie and I took a writing break to check it out. Writing breaks on beautiful autumn afternoons - that's got to be in the top five reasons why we have the best job in the world.


3 comments:

Tyra Shortino said...

I think the Volvo station wagon suits you best as writer. Were you fashion magazine writer by any chance? If you were, the sporty, compact, and stylish look of this car would suit you best.

Vannessa Gabbett said...

Your Volvo doesn't look that bad, Sophie. It seems like it's still in good driving condition, and it still looks fresh while you rinse the soap away from it on the last picture. But I think the style is a bit out-of-date compared to the style of cars today. But, if it's still running smoothly on the highways or in bumpy roads, it's still good to keep.

Erwin Calverley said...

It's good to know that you chose to have a small car again. It looks really good with a woman, but why did you choose the Cherokee? It's a pretty big car, I was just wondering. Don’t get me wrong, I love it as it is! Anyway, your new car looks great!

Erwin Calverley