Monday, August 27, 2012

Oaklandish!

The more things change...the more they change.

This has been a crazy couple of weeks. A few of my major recent life events include the purchase of a new car, the downsizing of my earthly possessions for the third time in three years, and a move to a new apartment in a neighborhood I've had my eye on for quite a while.

This wasn't the most convenient possible time for upheaval - I've got a book coming out in September, another in October, and yet another in November, and a new one to finish in the next couple of months. But you know what, if things in your life follow a predictable and convenient schedule, then I'd venture a guess that your life isn't all that interesting.

Here's an odd thing - the people I usually lean on most all happened to be otherwise engaged during my move: they're out of the country or pulling quadruple shifts or visiting family or having surgery or beginning a new semester or getting kids to college or changing jobs. (No, they weren't just making excuses - these are *my* friends, people, the finest to be had.)

But I think that might have been a good thing. Because I had to do a LOT of hard things on my own, things I would have certainly let other people do if I'd had a chance, but there just wasn't anyone. And I'm really, really f'ing proud of getting through all of this solo. Who knew I could hire contractors and movers and negotiate with an auto dealer and figure out how to make an office out of a closet and fix my credit and create a budget I can live with? I didn't - not until now. But damn, it feels good.

half moved in!


treasured Gigi Pandian originals already on the wall

why have kids? to help you move heavy furniture, that's why

view from my balcony - with city bus!

even our Whole Foods has civic pride



7 comments:

Greg Bardsley said...

Congrats om your huge move, Sophie ... And Oakland? A great city. .. Best, Greg

Maddee James said...

Super happy for you Sophie, and for the joy you felt by doing things on your own -- it's so woman-affirming. :) I'm right there with you on that! And it will keep getting easier -- that's the cool thing.
Love Gigi's pics on that beautiful orangy wall! x maddee

Rachael Herron said...

home home home home home home home happy home.

Jane George said...

Danville is crying, but I am terrifically happy for you! You made it happen. Best of luck and success with your upcoming feleases!

Judith Starkston said...

Congrats on pulling everything off yourself. Happy new home. You certainly deserve some peace and quiet with the schedule you've got in the next few months.

J Bold said...

Very impressive, Sophie! Glad you're that much closer to San Francisco.

GunDiva said...

It's hard to start over, but the sense of empowerment is unequaled.