Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Waste of Courage


If you're an introvert like me, you know how daunting the prospect of meeting new people can be. Excruciating, even. I liken it to writing the first thousand words every day: hate the process, love the result. 

I get that I can't expect to make new friends without the first awkward (for me, anyway; other people make it look easy) interactions. I've been wanting to make some new hiking friends, so the other day I gathered up my courage and set out to meet up with a Bay Area hiking group doing an informal 4-miler down in Sunol.

But I guess it wasn't meant to be. I was running a little late, and there was a pileup on the freeway, and - oops - i was out of gas. Half an hour after I was supposed to meet at the trailhead, I was finally coasting off the exit ramp praying that the last few teaspoons of fuel would get me to the Arco.

Well, I know when I'm beat. I turned around and did my standard Las Trampas hike instead. An easy hour round trip, and Dog didn't seem to mind - no ticks this time, either!



And that night I patched myself up with the introvert's cure - OLD friends! :) The ones who have to love you because you've been down a long road together. (I have to remind myself that there was once a day when I didn't know Steve and Juliet either....almost unimaginable!)

If anyone can identify this place (hint: Oakland) I'll send you any book I've written. :)




6 comments:

jujuwiz said...

Heart and Dagger! Hipster-ized version of the old Serenader! That's my hood! Best place for a sunday afternoon cocktail.

-Bethany

Sophie Littlefield said...

ha ha ha! yes :) should've known there'd be a ringer out there. i LOVE that place. how about this, will you meet me there and I'll sign it over in person? which one do you want? this'll be fun

jujuwiz said...

Also, in a nice parallel, I screwed up my courage to be social and brave the First Friday crowds to see a band I was excited by... and it was sold out, so I went to Baggy's with my bestie. Tried and true happy place, and no feelings of cowardice because the choice was not mine.

jujuwiz said...

Yes! Any time! And ooo... what to choose! Can I have Horizon? I'm behind in my reading and haven't read it yet.

Sophie Littlefield said...

Horizon it is! I'll move the planning part to email. Not that i don't think it's a good idea to plan my social calendar on the internet or anything :)

PS good job with the baggy's

Sydnee said...

Socialization can be really frustrating sometimes. That's why I love dogs - you never have to worry about awkwardness with your pets. <3