Saturday, June 30, 2012

Apparently I Don't Have a Corner on Awkward

I'm off to Thrillerfest in a week where, among other things, I'll have a variety of meetings and a panel or two.

I am awkward in public. I can express myself fairly well when I have the luxury of time and the written word, but often talking feels like squeezing big thoughts through a tiny toothpaste tube which mangles them on the way out. It's frustrating and nerve-wracking.

But I'm not alone. Some of you may know that I am a big fan of singer Chris Knight. Listen to any of his work and I think you'll agree he's a brilliant songwriter. But in person? He's pretty much a disaster. And I'm not talking about his accent, either; I actually like that accent. He just can't seem to get a coherent thought out beyond the most banal observations.

In this clip, the interviewer valiantly comes at him from just about every angle, giving him opportunity after opportunity to expound on his life, his work, his process. This is about as good as his responses get:

"Way it works is, if I feel like writing, I write; if I don't, I don't."

Uh...yeah. And this is the guy who wrote "Down the River."

Anyway, I feel for this poor guy. And his publicists. We're two of a kind, he and I.

Oh, hey, if you're thinking of coming to the workshop I'm doing with my agent Barbara Poelle (Craftfest, Wednesday July 11, 9:45am "Where Does the Story Start?") - fear not. For some reason, teaching doesn't count. Put me in front of a classroom and I figure out what to do. Promise.

1 comment:

Reina M. Williams said...

Sophie, you are not awkward! I don't want to dismiss your own feelings, and of course, I don't know you well, but I feel like you're like my size 2 friend who feels like she has fat days...I know she feels that, but to this size 14, she can never be fat. Like to this actually awkward person, you aren't awkward. And to anyone reading this, go to her workshop--she will bring it! Sincerely, Reina :)