Monday, May 14, 2012

New Series Announcement!

I'm thrilled and delighted to announce that I have sold the first two books in a new series to Pocket! The as-yet-untitled novels feature thirty-ish Joe Bashir, a hunky Pakistani-American detective in an affluent suburb of San Francisco.

Let me just say right up front that I LOVE Joe Bashir. If I was fifteen years younger - and he wasn't imaginary - we'd be involved, for sure. On second thought, I guess we *are* involved, since I've written a number of short stories as well as a completed book and a number of proposals featuring Joe and his colleagues.

The best thing about this new venture is that my new editor is Abby Zidle. I've had a writer-crush on AZ forever, and not just because she claims that her edit directives "are made of kitten whiskers and moondust" - that woman is SMART. Scary smart, and you all know how I feel about smart.

I don't have many details yet, but let me share the pitch for the book. If you're wondering where it fits in the Littlefield imagin-o-rama, I'd say the Joe books are more procedural and "serious" than the Stella series, not as gruesome as the AFTERTIME series, while still being very character-driven. Barbara (who, you'll remember, calls me the 2nd-worst pitcher ever) likens them to John Sandford's work, a comparison I'll be glad to take, thank you very much!

I'll share more when I have more, but for now I'm just excited about the new venture. Onward!

16 comments:

Nicole Peeler said...

These sound AWESOME! I already have a crush on him, too. ;)

Steve Hockensmith said...

Wow -- even with a busted hand, you keep reeling in deals. You're amazing! Congratulations!

Janet Reid said...

Count me in line to buy and read. Also, I'm a member of the Abby Zidle Fan Club and you should join. Dues are one round of drinks next time I see you!

Sophie Littlefield said...

drinks are ON for all fan club members!

Susan Tunis said...

Congratulations, Sophie! I'll never run out of good reading material as long as you're around.

L.G.C. Smith said...

You know I'm going to be saying, "I read the first of the Joe Bashir series in critique group with Sophie." I love that guy. He's the kind of character I could drop out of my own life to spend time with for a dozen or so books. Yay, Abby, for buying Sophie's Joe!

Terry Shames said...

Sophie, you are so inspiring. You manage to get all this writing done and still be a totally terrific friend to other writers. Love you, girl!

Alan Orloff said...

Congrats, Sophie!

Vicki Pettersson said...

I don't know Abby, but I do know YOU, and I now have at least two new autobuys in my tbr pile. Congrats, Sophie!

Virna DePaul said...

Congratulations, Sophie!! That's awesome!! :)

Pop Culture Nerd said...

YAHOO! Congrats, Sophie! Joe sounds mighty sexy and I think I want some of that.

A. J. Larrieu said...

Oooo, I can't wait to read it. Congratulations!

Jamie Freveletti said...

Congrats Sophie! Drinks on me next time we meet.

Cat Winters said...

Your output is amazing, Sophie! Congratulations on another wonderful sale!

P.S. I hope I'm not that #1 worst pitcher according to Barbara. ;)

Kristen W said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Judith Starkston said...

I love the sound of this new series. Where you find the energy and time for all you do is the best mystery of all. Congratulations!