Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day Ten: Complain

...or should it be advocate? I come from the "nice girls keep their mouths shut" era, and while I think we can all agree that I've made great strides in overcoming this early training, I am still a bit cowed by doctors.

But this is serious. Things aren't coming along the way I was expecting, which affects nearly all aspects of my life  - work, physical activity, sleep...even housework, which has fallen off precipitously. I called the doc today to ask to be seen and was roundly dismissed. I was told I "must be overdoing it,"  even though I have been adhering carefully to instructions I was given. But I hung in there. I don't care to be patronized - do you? So, we'll see. It's entirely possible that neither I nor the docs can speed this recovery along, but since so far I'm not seeing the results they predicted, I'm going to make sure we've covered all the bases.

(I have to confess to carrying around this little disapproving voice that's been muttering "how dare you?" all morning. God, I hate that wretched voice.)

Meanwhile, so as not to be a total drag, I got to see my UK cover for AFTERTIME (out this fall)!

2 comments:

This Blonde's Life said...

Having worked with doctors for over 20 years I can tell you they are all very normal like the rest of us. If your doctor patronizes you get another! You are the only one who knows what your body is doing and your doctor should understand this. Good luck, it sucks to go through your day with only one wing!

Lauren.M. said...

You deserve to have your concerns addressed, and if your recovery isn't following the projected track, then it is definitely a good idea to get your hand looked at again. As for the "how dare you" voice, tell it that there's nothing wrong with expecting good treatment from the health professional that you (and your insurance company) are paying to take care of you.

Also, I love the UK cover and the American one equally and for totally different reasons. Great artwork!