Thursday, May 3, 2012

Day 1 - focus

I've been feeling pretty down about spending three more weeks in a brace with all the attendant physical activity restrictions and work issue. So I made a big decision. Instead of wallowing in self-pity for the next 21 days, I'm going to try to do something positive each and every day, some healthy or brave or difficult thing I would ordinarily avoid.

 Starting today.

 I read a lot and I walk a lot and usually I combine the two, but I have to admit that it's challenging with only one hand. (Trying to juggle book, dog leash, and dog, um, leavings in Target bag with one hand is just too hard.) Also, my introversion generally makes me use the book as an excuse to not talk to strangers. ("oh so sorry, didn't see you coming down the path with your poodle/stroller/bicycle because this book is simply so absorbing!") So for the next 3 weeks I'm not bringing books on my walks/hikes. And I actually said hi to everyone I passed today and stopped to let some kids pet Dog.

3 comments:

Reina M. Williams said...

You're introverted!? :)
Thanks for setting a good example...I too have been wallowing a bit with a pinched nerve and bulging disk, among other things...always you SFA ladies seem to find the positives! :)

Sophie Littlefield said...

that made me smile reina because rwa is one of the places I look for role models in positive, proactive thinking... *and* one of the places I feel at ease in a group. I'm reading a fantastic book on introversion called QUIET.

Reina M. Williams said...

Thanks, Sophie. I've found lots of inspiration at SFA too.
The book sounds interesting. I went right to Goodreads and added it to my to-read list. ;)