Sunday, March 4, 2012

YOUR NEXT BOOK


I know, I know, there may not be room for another pet-grooming series in today's cozy market. That's not really where I was going with this. I mean...dog highlights...? That makes *me* want to kill someone.

According to this article, people spend over $51 BILLION dollars on their pets annually. That's gotta be pretty galling, if you're the guy who's trying to stretch a paycheck to cover his kids' dentist bill. Or even buy a frosty brew at the end of the workweek.

So I'm imagining a sort of noir thing here...guy loses his lease - he's been a repairman, a bookie, a Cash4Gold guy, whatever - and this is what moves in. Of course he can't take it out on the pets (sidebar: I've always kind of wanted to kidnap over-coiffed animal and set them up with a feral island compound - think there's a kids' flick in there? - probably starring Dwayne Johnson) so instead he zeroes in their owners. Probably Hard Case Crime would go for this...

No comments: