Friday, July 29, 2011

Hellooooooo Forty-Eight!

I have a dear friend, a fellow author, who says that us female writers of a certain age ought to stay mum about how old we are. That we'll benefit from a little confusion on the subject, a little conjecture that we might be younger than we truly are.

To that I say uh-uh. I turned 48 this week and I don't care who knows it. So far it's been great, and I have a feeling that this might be a big year for me. Later this month I'm going on my first backpack trek, six days in the mountains overlooking the Pacific. I'm wrapping up a book that pretty much wrote itself and I'm going to start a new one next week that is going to blow everyone away, including me. Oh, and I was propositioned by a 23-year-old last week. So I say, I'm not sure what I stand to gain by shaving a year or two or ten off my age - 48 is just fine.

Besides, I have these two as role models: Camille Minichino and Rita Lakin get saucier (that's a euphemism, friends, but it's not my place to tell a lady's secrets!) (other than, if I were you, I'd stay out of Camille's way when she's behind the wheel because she has a deadly windshield) every year! Julie and I were lucky enough to do an event with them last week at Book Passage.


A few other highlights from my big week:

I made Steve Hockensmith cry!!

I went to a Pens barbecue (and I'm not telling whose undies are on the line!)

Me and Julie at Book Passage hawkin' them books we wrote

I went to the Ruby Room - oh yes I DID! And you better believe I plan to go back

Birthday Cookies - which my friend Roseann makes for me every year and which are more delicious than Heaven itself

7 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

Sophie, you, Camille, Rita and Julie are and will be beautiful and vibrant no matter the chronological age attached!

Virna DePaul said...

Sophie--You're an inspiration in so many ways! Happy birthday!!! XOXO

Catherine/Suburban Vampire said...

Happy birthday, Sophie!! I'll be hitting the big 4-0 at the end of the summer, but with forty-something women like you paving the way, it looks like I have nothing to fear.

Judith Starkston said...

Happy Birthday, Sophie! Here's to saucy women writers of a certain age! Have fun with the backpacking. I confess I'm less enamored of backpacking these days because I so enjoy a comfy bed at the end of the hike, but it does let you get so far away from the maddening crowds.

Vickie said...

Happy Birthday!! I loved my 40s (only 50 now). I met my now DH when I was 38, had Lady K when I was 42. We moved to Colorado when I was 41, married the same year....There is physical age and mental age.

Camille Minichino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camille Minichino said...

Wow, how did I end up here, on this blog that I go to for inspiration? I should say that even long ago when I was 48, I didn't have Sophie's energy, spirit, and talent!

Stay in my life, Sophie!