Monday, May 16, 2011

For Your Shelf: RIGOR MORTIS


Maybe I'm showing my incipient fossilization, but I believe that publishing has become *too* accessible. It's not really a brave new world, merely a world with far more points of entry and a shocking plague of poor editing.

Words matter, people. They deserve reverent treatment.

RIGOR MORTIS (disclaimer - I discovered this publication because they reviewed AFTERTIME), a horror zine, is one of the most beautifully written and illustrated things I have come across in a long time. It has an online presence here but I encourage you to consider purchasing a copy - as they point out, they're cheap at $3.50 an issue.

You know I'm a bit of a grammar priss, but I read the current issue without cringing a bit. That's really saying something. And the quality of the writing is amazing - smart and funny and accessible.

"For us monster kids," editors Deadvida and Dread write, "it might be easy to forget that the rest of the world doesn't think the way we do."

Well, that's a shame. You guys have a fan here.

No comments: