Sunday, September 12, 2010

BANISHED - one month away!


My first young adult novel, BANISHED, comes out one month from today. I love this book and I can't wait to have it in the hands of readers - but perhaps because it's very close to my heart, I'm also a little nervous.

Anyone who knows me knows that my world revolves around my kids. At 15 and 17, they are right smack in the target age range for my book - but they haven't read it. I understand why - I was the same way when my own dad published book after book as I was growing up. I needed him to be my Dad, not an author, not a pundit (he wrote books about legal history) - and I didn't want to "go looking" for him between the lines of the text. That may not be an adequate explanation - it's something I feel, rather than something I can enunciate. Anyway, it doesn't bother me a bit that my kids - while they are excited and happy for me - don't feel the need to open the cover.

As for any other readers out there - that's a different story. I want you to love the cover (I do). I want you to be intrigued by the first line ("Waking up hurt.") I want you to care about the characters and what happens to them. I hope you find a sentence or two that makes you go "oh!"

I'm going to be pretty busy this fall with a couple of deadlines and family stuff, and so I haven't been able to do as many appearances and signings as I would like to. All I can do is stand at the door, like the parent of a kindergardner that I once was, and watch my little bundle toddle out into the world - full of hopes and best wishes and maybe a prayer or two.

3 comments:

GunDiva said...

Congrats :)

How exciting! Can't wait to read it; love the cover and the first line.

A. J. Larrieu said...

I'm really looking forward to this! And the cover is great. Congratulations!

Karen said...

You ALWAYS make me say "oh!" I can't wait for your YA.