Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunny's a Star (and so are you)

My darling niece was in a play this weekend. She played the Emperor - what else?



Seeing Sunny in her moment of triumph brought out all my aunty-pride, of course, and I'm certain that the celebrations continue apace at her house.

And it was an exciting week around here, too.

But it was also a good week for several of my friends, who heard back on their agent submissions. Sure, there were rejections - there always are - but there were also a smattering of encouragement. Requests for full manuscripts, partials, or even "good" rejections - all of these are wonderful affirmations and reason to celebrate.

Over the course of my writing career, I've heard this piece of advice often: Don't forget to celebrate the small victories. I don't always follow it. But I wish I did.

Not every day is stage day, not every day ends with your mom and dad giving you flowers and a trip to the chocolate cafe and your brother having to tell you that you did an awesome job. Some days the gifts are smaller, easier to miss. But all are good and all are worthy of soaking up greedily and enjoying to the fullest.

And all you submitters out there, waiting by the inbox for news, my fingers are crossed for you.

No comments: