Thursday, September 3, 2009

Two Random Things I Like A LOT

Went out with some friends last week to a book event. Afterward we went to the Grand Tavern in Oakland and had their incredible homemade potato chips. Now I cannot possibly emphasize enough how important texture is in a potato chip. A chip should be sturdy and not smooth (Pringles, while a serviceable snack, are truly an entirely different species) - and there should be some evidence that it was once a potato, whether that's a tiny fleck of skin or those weird black spots even nice spuds get. The crunch should be tempered only very slightly by a bit of tensile flexibility - not entirely crisp, in other words, only almost. When it comes to seasonings, believe it or not, I'm far less picky; if there's adequate salt (lots) then I don't much care if they throw on some other junk or not.

The other thing that I love is this card my cousin sent. Every author should get a card like this, I think. It's going to stay right here in front of me for the tough days...

3 comments:

Diana Orgain said...

Oh Sophie - I LOVE the card! Congrats!

Chris said...

I like that you've spent as much time thinking about potato chips as most physicists have about a Grand Unifying Theory. But then, a Grand Unifying Potato Chip Theory ain't gonna discover itself.

And the card is much-deserved. SORRY is awesome.

Crystal Kauffman said...

I'll use my Homer Simpson voice: "Mmmmm... potato chips...." drool. Those look soooooo good.