Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ravenous On HSN - Genius

You have to hand it to the ladies of Ravenous Romance, a new e-/print publisher of romance and erotica titles.

They've done a deal with veteran TV-hawkers the Home Shopping Network to package sets of their books for sale on the programming lineup. For about $25 and free shipping, you get six novels and you can choose from a Historical, Paranormal, or Contemporary lineup.

If you think of home/TV shopping as being the domain of blue-haired retirees, I've got a couple of things for you to think about. First of all, blue-haired retirees are an extraordinarily important consumer groups for commercial fiction. Without them we're all, frankly, screwed. and secondly, try this on for size: HSN is on the top-ten list of e-commerce sites based on traffic. I don't need to tell you that's a hell of a lot of clicks.


I have two friends whose books are featured in the initial offering: Monica Newcomb (HOT ON HER HEELS) and Inara Lavey aka Dana Fredsti (RIPPING THE BODICE).

There are lots of things that I think Ravenous could do a lot better. This is in no way a blanket endorsement of their practices, titles, etc.. However, in this publishing climate, I think that ingenuity ought to be rewarded, so a big congrats to the team and I wish RR/HSN great sales!

2 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

I have to say, Sophie, I was (and am) thrilled at the HSN deal, especially since my book was one of the ones included. Thanks for your good wishes and for your post!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!