Sunday, August 23, 2009

Love Potion Number Nine

I'm number nine :)
As in, #9 on the San Francisco Chronicle Best-Sellers list for August 23rd. I love it. I have been staring at myself - well, my name, anyway, emblazoned there for all the world to see among all my crazy colleagues, like Thomas Pynchon (I know, no WAY!) and Stieg and Carlos and Barbara...

Funny word that..."colleague".  Y'know? It's from the Latin collega, "one chosen to serve with another."  Yes, overblown as the notion may be, I really do think of other working writers as being my colleagues, chosen to serve with our words. 'Cause we're all just head down, doing our job, that writing thing. (Well, Barbara has to do that "governing" thing in addition to that "writing" thing.) We're just a bunch of craftsmen, really, moving words around on the page. Honors mean nothing to us. Lists mean - 
ah, fuck it. I'm thrilled. 

3 comments:

Jeri said...

Thrilled me beyond belief. And certainly not surprising given "alter ego" Stella Hardesty. Can't wait to share at school tomorrow. We're rooting for you!

Chris said...

Congratulations!!!!111oneoneeleventyone!!

Crystal Kauffman said...

I'll have you know I sat through a boring 1 hour digital presentation by an on-line travel site just to get the Amazon gift card for taking part so I could buy your book! I've got it now and can't wait to get started! Congratulations on your spot #9, and here's to climbing :)