Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reading For No Good Reason

I read lots and lots of books, and lately the pile teeters practically out of control. There are so many books I come across in the course of my own writing - mostly mysteries, women's fiction, and young adult novels - that I "need" to read for a variety of reasons: to keep up to date in my genre, to understand reader tastes, to familiarize myself with an author before a panel or workshop where we'll be working together, and so on.

This is a delightful problem to have. Reading for "work" beats any other job I've held by a long shot.

Still, the crowding of my reading plate leaves little room for one of my all-time favorite pleasures - the book you read for no good reason at all.

Tonight I went to see Mary Roach, an old favorite, and as well as Mara Altman, a really entertaining and fun author who wrote THANKS FOR COMING.  These two buoyed my spirits immensely (as did the friends I went with, three writers plus my neighbor Jan).

Mary and Mara have written singular books.  Their subtitles: "The curious coupling of science and sex" and "One young woman's quest for an orgasm." There was a fair amount of audience giggling. I just might have to move them up the reading pile.

Oh, and I picked up UNWIND by Neal Shusterman on Martha's recommendation.  These YA authors are pushing every envelope they can, and I think I like it.

1 comment:

Martha Flynn said...

Let me know what you think of "the scene." You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it.