Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ashley is Smart

Last night - after the fireworks - my daughter and her friend Ashley, who is thirteen, were shooting the breeze with me. Talk turned to books, and Ashley was kind enough to ask about how the current one was going (you know, the one I'm turning in Tuesday). She listened politely as I described the plot, and then pointed out that I never explained what happened to the body.

And I realized it was because I didn't know.

I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily Ashley and Sal were happy to brainstorm with me and they gave me a few options.

Maybe this is why I had kids...

Some extremely smart girls

3 comments:

Martha Flynn said...

Are Ashley and Sal available for plot talks? Maybe they could charge by the hour...or the idea.

Chris said...

Hey, Raymond Chandler never explained who killed the chauffeur in THE BIG SLEEP. When asked about it long after publication, he reread the book, and said he had no idea who did it.

You managed to catch your thing before you even finished. By my reckoning, that makes you smarter than Raymond Chandler!

Sophie Littlefield said...

Oh wow, that's going to be my new favorite blurb...."Smarter than Raymond Chandler" Thanks Chris! And Martha - Sal's ready to go :)