Friday, May 15, 2009

Heaven Help Us, I Started Drawing Again


I haven't done any drawing since 1987, when I had a very brief membership at the Art Students League of New York. That will always be the high point of my art hobbyism...for a few bucks you could drop in on a figure drawing class after work. There were REAL NUDE MODELS and real WASHED-UP NYC ARTISTS looking to make bar money by wandering around muttering at our drawings, and there were girls with rips in their fish-net stockings and combat boots...and ritzy Connecticut housewives "pursuing a passion"...about all the exoticism this Missouri girl could handle.

Anyway, I started doing it again. Don't know why, it just happened. I'm freakishly insecure about my drawing, but that's just another bear to wrestle to the ground.

5 comments:

Chris said...

You know, in a past life, I was convinced I was going to be an illustrator. I'd been accepted to college (not the one I ended up going to, but still) on an art scholarship, but in the end, I couldn't do it. There was this kid in my class named Jason Nelepovitz, and he had talent. Real talent. I realized I'd never be able to do what he did, no matter how hard I worked at it, and I haven't really drawn since.

Somewhere along the way, I guess my mind-set changed, because it ain't like I think I'm God's gift to writing. Sometimes, you just gotta put yourself out there and see what happens.

Oh, and you can draw, by the way, so don't let your insecurity get to you. That you haven't done it in years is all the more impressive...

Sophie Littlefield said...

So of course I googled Jason Nelepovitz and he ain't won any NEA grants or anything yet. Don't sell yourself short C - you are, in fact, The Big Guy/The Universe's gift to writing as writing is his/its gift to you. HA! A little philosophy-slingin on a Friday :) And thanks plenty, by the way

Chris said...

One of my favorite bits of philosophy reading ever was a quote by (I think) William James, brother of novelist Henry and darn smart American pragmatist. He said something to the effect of, "it's a fault of semantics that "God" and "The natural order of the universe" are not the same thing." I guess your slashy hedging reminded me of that. How's that for a little Phriday Philosophy!? (Yes, in fact, I do regret that last bit.)

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Considering that you haven't drawn in over twenty years those sketches are pretty damn good.

Keep it up.

Mags said...

I draw a stick figure.

Some busybody comes by and says, "Goodness, what's that?"

I say "It's a stick figure! See?"

Busybody says "Huh."

I slink away and curse Sophie Littlefield and her mad renaissance-man skillz. But then I buy her a drink. 'Cos it's more fun.